Initiator: Eric McDaniel, Kene Okigbo
Conversation Participants: Mariah Rud, Jordan Maahs, Alex Cyusa, Constance Pearson
Why does it matter?
- Disconnection is much easier when students are not involved
Do the universities advocate community involvement?
- Most companies at job fairs aren’t local jobs
What are the benefits?
- What can Fargo offer that others can’t?
Develop a campus feel by allowing community engagement
New Americans don’t always have the opportunity to engage
Off campus networking opportunities
- hub where students can engage with potential employers
Long term return (leaving and coming back)
Bridging professionals and students
- giving mentorship to students and creating a fun medium for interaction
- business professional associations
STLF (Students Today Leaders Forever)
Meeting of Tri-College alumni
- Cross connection of other school’s alumni
Big Brothers Big Sisters
- Opportunity for students to give back
Ameri Corps Program
- Student loan payment
Social media on community happenings
Force community engagement in classes
Required community engagement credit for graduation
- Individually connecting students through communication
- Keeping it fun
- Connecting the community with students rather than connecting students with the community